Friday, October 31, 2008

November Gratitude Challenge

I am a big believer in the power of expressing gratitude, how it can shift our thinking, change our feelings, make miracles occur. I have kept gratitude journals with regularity during different points of my life.

I love Thanksgiving and the opportunity it brings for deliberate focus on being in gratitude. For the month of November I am calling for a challenge to anyone who wants to take it on, to take on a daily practice of gratitude. Many people already practice gratitude -- writing in a journal at night or in the morning, itemizing 5 things they feel grateful for. If this is the case for you, I say great and invite you to pump it up. Find other ways that you can be in deliberate gratitude everyday. Perhaps this means you involve other people in your life in the practice. Perhaps you create a space in your home -- an alter of sorts, where you can add slips of paper with gratitudes, actual objects or pictures of people. What other creative ways can you come up with to express your gratitude?

I came across a great website focused on giving www.29gifts.org. This site focuses on giving something every day this month. You could choose to do that as an additional show of gratitude.

If you are not currently participating in some kind of deliberate gratitude, then I encourage you to start one this month. 30 days to see what a difference it might make in your life. What have you got to lose? Try it out this month and then let me know. Post to this blog what you notice. What shifts for you? What outcomes show up? I will be posting my own awarenesses, and invite all of you to do the same. Let's encourage each other on this magnificent ride which can only lead to our collective better good.

I'm going to get the ball rolling on this November launch a day early by sharing a few things I've noticed today where I spoke a quiet "thank you":

1. Pomegranates - what a fun fruit. I hadn't had one in awhile and yes, they are messy, but those little seeds taste crunchy, kind of tart and sweet and what a beautiful bright red.

2. a sweet coaching session with my original buddy coach. I coached her on a topic but really we were two friends sharing and I loved hearing her stories and catching up. I love her and can't wait to meet her someday.

3. the seasons that have changed before my eyes out my office window today -- we started with rain, followed by sunshine, some clearing in the sky and now at 83 degrees we have a light wind, and the trees rustling which is a beautiful dance for me to watch.

4. my pets. My orange kitty Willy was right there looking for me this morning as I came down to get coffee, waiting to love me with his eyes big as saucers looking like Puss in Boots from Shrek. My wiener dog nosing up to me as I did my yoga on the floor, wanting to be near, her nose edging under my arm to pet her.

5. Talking to my daughter on the phone everyday. I am so grateful to be so close to her at this time in her life, grateful for the healthy baby growing in her womb - 15 weeks along!

OK, come November 1st, want to take on the challenge?

No comments: