Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Midway Upon the Journey...

of our life I found myself within a forest dark, for the straightforward pathway had been lost. ~ The Divine Comedy

That is the first line of that infamous book by Dante. I'm starting out with that line today because it speaks so loudly to me of this point of life - midlife - which I prefer to call the second half of life. Somehow that sounds more promising and exciting -- like what could be ahead in this part of the journey?

Haven't you been there in that dark forest when the pathway had been lost? I have. I think what makes it the most challenging when I've found myself in that place, is feeling alone in the forest. It's scary and it's lonely and when I've lost the path I can start to get lost in the woods and if that wandering in the wilderness keeps up very long, I can feel like giving up, going down an easier path or maybe going backwards the way I came. This ever happen to you?

Getting into that mindset of feeling lost and alone impacts us of course because it becomes that negative downward spiral. I've experienced this both in my personal life and in my business life -- and I have to say what helps me get back onto MY PATH is finding some support along the way. It can be a book or class that will help me look outside my own box, or a friend or colleague experiencing something similar who can boost me up. I've also had many coaches in the last several years who have supported me, listened to me, acknowledged that what I am feeling is true and valid and partnered with me to find ways to locate the path and walk even more surely on my journey. Coaches such as myself are available and most will schedule a "check it out" session at no cost to allow you to see what's possible.

Lost in the forest? Looking for the path? Give yourself some time to locate support, because none of us really want to journey through the nine circles of hell!

No comments: